svgcuts

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Decorative Boxes and Curly Hair Bows

I've been in  a crafty mood!  I don't have any reason to make cards- other than Christmas cards right now, so I need to fuel my obsessive behavior with other crafts!  I saw Momo's video on covering recipe boxes from Michael's, so I tried that.  I have a stack of thin paper that I needed a reason to use! Thanks, Momo:)




Then, my friend Kelly taught me how to curl ribbons to make hair bows. Any ribbon with polyester seems to curl well, though some take longer than others.  All you do is wrap ribbons around 1/4" wooden dowels, securing the ends with wooden clothes pins.  Lay the wrapped dowels in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes in a 235 degree oven.  Again, depending on the ribbon, some might need a bit more time.  After the ribbon dowels have cooled for a few minutes, simply release the clothes pins and gently pull the curled ribbon off the dowel.  Cut the ribbons into 3-4 inch lengths and place 6-8 of the cuts into a pile.  Take a straight length of ribbon and tie a knot around the center of the pile tightly.  Cut off any extra lengths of ribbon. Hot glue the curls to a hair clip and you are done!

4 comments:

Besthobbyeva said...

Those boxes are beautiful! I love them! Great paper choice!

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Your boxes came out great! Fun bows!

jestineonline said...

Love the boxes, they would make a great gifts for teachers :)

Kel said...

Adorable boxes and bows!